Saturday 11 April 2009

Oriental-Pied Hornbill !

It's been so long since I last went to the Changi Beach
park, so, I decided to pay the lovely place a visit. Wow! It was
really hot there!( I wanted it to be like that ) The first bird I saw was
the rock/common pigeon.( obviously ) Then, I walked on. There was
a quite a number of common mynas hopping along the beach. A male
striped albatross( the butterfly ) was fluttering around, and stopping to
puddle. I then started on the board walk. I could hear common ioras( a bird )
singing, and lime butterflies flying above me. The rest of the walk wasn't that
interesting. Until...... The white-bellied sea eagle swooped by over the water
and grabbed a large fish for a meal. Okay, the walk went back to being
uninteresting. So, I headed back to square one. On the way, a
common sandpiper showed up.
( the image is not very clear as the bird was not very close to me and I had to zoom a lot )
Asian-glossy starlings flying from bush to bush, there was no
sign of a single plover. Back to the main stretch! I started running down the
beach, just having fun...... It started to drizzle...... Well, that did not stop me.
When I was walking back, I found this dazzling beetle( sadly, head chopped off )
Its wing cover was emerald green. The photo below shows the underside.

Now, all the excitement begins! Prepare! ......
There was a large dark area in one of the trees. What could it
be? After I got closer to it, I found out that it was a ORIENTAL-PIED HORNBILL!
Were my eyes playing a trick on me? I could hardly believe myself. The bird
has re-colonised in Singapore, recently last year. A small population breeds
in Singapore. Good thing I came to Changi to record it! Here are two images( below )


Well, it was time to go. My head was still spinning around,
coz of that hornbill.

2 comments:

  1. Airconstars: Nice Blog Bluebottle! Did not really read carefully yet but looking at the images, not bad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting, sister. Make up your mind, are you Isabel or Airconstars?

    ReplyDelete